Thursday, April 14, 2011

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After" by Steve Hockensmith

320 pages

The vicious zombie-killing Elizabeth Bennet (now Darcy) from "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" is back! She's been married to Mr. Darcy for four years now, and everything is great...except she's becoming more and more depressed by the fact that, as a married lady, she can't fight the dreadfuls anymore. She has been keeping her skills sharp by sparring with her husband and the ninjas on their property, but it just isn't the same. Then the unthinkable happens: Mr. Darcy is bitten by one of the sorry-stricken and will soon become an unmentionable himself! However, Elizabeth refuses to accept his fate. She believes that Darcy's aunt, the great Lady Catherine, has connections to people with a cure and she will do anything to get it. As if that weren't difficult enough, Lady Catherine, Elizabeth's worst enemy, refuses to make Lizzy's quest for the cure easy. Fortunately, her family is there to help her.

I. love. this. book. Granted, it's not too hard to impress me when it comes to funny zombie stories. But this one really cracked me up! I love the contrast between the proper English language and manners of the characters with the wacky zombie elements. It's so ridiculously random that I laughed out loud several times. I also enjoyed seeing more involvement from Lizzy's sisters, Mary and Kitty, as well as their father. The main storyline is predictable, but there are some twists thrown in and I found the conclusion very satisfying. If you've enjoyed any of the monster mashups that have been so popular lately, I highly recommend this one!

2 comments:

  1. I liked that Mary and Kitty were in this one more too. They got storylines and fun (and somewhat strange) romances and I loved that-they often get overlooked. And this one really made me laugh too-I still love the guy in the box-my favorite!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I was glad that Mary and Kitty got their bizarre men, and I too loved the guy in the box! "I just jumped for joy!"

    ReplyDelete