Sunday, September 16, 2012

"Carry the One" by Carol Anshaw


253 pages

In the wee hours of the night after Carmen's wedding reception, a car filled with her stoned and drunk family, including her brother and sister, accidently hits and kills a little girl on a dark road. For the next twenty-five years, every involved struggles to deal with their guilt in different ways. Some throw themselves into their work; some have extramarital affairs, some drink. In the end, some learn to deal and learn on while others self-destruct.

I am sort of torn on this book. I found the writing beautiful and the characters seem very real, but I felt like it didn't go anywhere. It's interesting in that it explores how individuals' lives all affect each others and how different people deal with tragedy differently, ultimately I felt like it didn't go very deep with that. At the end, I thought "What was the point?"

No comments:

Post a Comment