Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakawa

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Haruki Murakami
pp 607
                                                                                                                                       
                                                         

Exhausting!  Interesting, alleghorical, well-written and a good translation from the original Japanese, but reading this book was exhausting.  I read and read and read and felt like the bookmark never moved very far.  It's the story of a young married man, Toru, who is a pretty passive guy.  He has a law degree but doesn't work; all these crazy characters keep coming in and out of his life and he experiences them in a very passive way through most of the book, yet it is Toru that leads the action in the last 1/8 of the book and finally finds some personal power. The book begins with a missing cat, progresses to a missing wife, finds our main character hanging out in a dry well with nothing but a baseball bat for company and ends with a fairly ambiguous resolution. I can't say I liked this book but I'm glad I read it.  If you like puzzling over symbolism and trying to understand another culture through it's popular writers, then give this one a try.
Kim F                              

1 comment:

  1. I wish to show my admiration for your kindness for those who should have assistance with the question. Your real commitment to passing the message up and down appears to be exceedingly productive and have without exception helped men and women just like me to realize their desired goals. Your personal insightful suggestions means this much to me and additionally to my office colleagues. Many thanks; from everyone of us.
    RPS 3-in-1 Wireless Remote Control for Canon EOS Rebel XT, XTi, XSi, T1i, T2i, G10, G11, G12, and Pentax Digital DSLR's (2.5mm Plug)

    ReplyDelete