Thursday, January 26, 2012

"Clockwork Prince" by Cassandra Clare

502 pages

In the hidden magical world of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has finally found safety with the Shadowhunters. On the downside, her brother, Nathan, has betrayed the group to the Magister and remains missing. Then things get worse when the powers that be in the Clave plan to have Charlotte replaced as head of the Institute. If that happens, Tessa will be put out on the street and easy prey for the Magister, who wants to use her powers for evil. Charlotte and the Shadowhunters are given a test: find the Magister within two weeks, or she will lose the Institute to her rival, Benedict Lightwood, who seems to be more concerned with his own mysterious agenda than the welfare of the Clave. As if the challenge wasn't difficult enough, it appears that the Shadowhunters have yet again been betrayed by someone within their ranks.

I can't get enough of the Infernal Devices series! I love the world Clare has created, with the magic and funky steampunk elements. The characters are probably what really has me hooked, though. The bad ones are so easy to hate, the good guys are so lovable, and there are plenty who fall somewhere in the middle, which I like because that's how real life is. I'm not so thrilled about the Will-Tessa-Jem love triangle, though. I am Team Will all the way, especially after reading this second book and learning some pretty important things about his background that explain some of the less-than-wonderful aspects of his personality. I adore Jem too, of course, but I just think Will and Tessa belong together. The fact that I care so much says a lot, as I usually don't really get so into the romantic aspects of books. I don't know how I'm going to wait until November for the third title in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment