Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim: 1)


by Richard Kadrey
(2009 | 388 p)

I've long considered myself to be a fan of urban fantasy. But I'm only now learning that there are actually two faces to the genre. You have the bohemian magical big city life (think de Lint's Newford series) and then you have the gritty, noir stuff. Sandman Slim clearly belongs in the latter. I wasn't sure what to make of this dark side of urban fantasy at first. So, quite rationally, I denied its existence for as long as possible. After finally sucking it up and reading a few of them I have to admit that this just might be my new guilty pleasure (literary-wise, at least).

Wil Wheaton recommended that I give Sandman Slim a try. (I like to say it like that because it makes it sound like Wil and I are tight when, in actuality, I'm just one of the thousands who stalks him on the interwebs.) The Wheaton raved about the Sandman Slim series and I thought to give it a go. And, I must say, so far Mr. Wheaton is one for one when it comes to book recommendations. Good job, sir.

The star of the story is Stark, a talented young magician who was very unfairly kidnapped by hellions. Stark survived eleven years in hell, serving as a tortured pet for Lucifer's top generals. Being mortal he shouldn't have made it a day "downtown," but it turns out that Stark is really tough to kill. He fights his way back to the surface to avenge the murder of his girlfriend. Only, as it turns out, revenge is never as simple as it should be.

This story is fast-paced and full of dark humor. Be sure to read it if you like that sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment