Friday, November 11, 2011

"Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver

470 pages

Samantha Kingston has it all: the most crush-worthy boyfriend around, three amazing best friends, and unmatched popularity at Thomas Jefferson High School. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it ends with a car accident that kills her.

But she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one roller coaster of a week, she works to figure out what is causing the cycle and how she can make things right.

I picked this book up because I thought the premise was interesting, but I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I didn't like the main characters at first, and I'm still not sure what I think about Samantha--sure, she changes for the better, but who wouldn't when faced with death? However, the story itself kept me interested. When I heard that she relives the fateful day seven times I worried that it would get repetitive, but it doesn't at all. In fact, it's really interesting how tiny changes Sam makes from day-to-day have a huge impact on what happens later. It demonstrates how seemingly insignificant choices can make a big difference. Also, I liked the suspense that built up as I got closer to the conclusion and tried to figure out whether Sam would ultimately live or die.

No comments:

Post a Comment