Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Clockwork Angel

by Cassandra Clare p. 479
I enjoyed this book. It was a fun read. I don't usually read YA fiction or fantasy fiction (besides Tolkien and the Harry Potter series). What drew me in was it was set in Victorian England. I'm a sucker for almost anything Brittania related and especially in the 1800s. I liked how in this unlike many recent supernatural series vampires, werewolves, and witches are not just moody, but are actually unsavory Downworlders back to their bad, old supernatural selves. Tessa Gray the heroine is likable and has uncertainties and grows more brave, unlike your usual heroine who starts out as a bold soldier. She is unsure that women are even capable of being warriors at the beginning. There is the intriguing group of demon hunters who are kind of part angel and human called the Shadowhunters. The surprises in the plots development were well hidden I did not guess they would occur. Though there were many things about Tessa's background and her relationships with two of the Shadowhunters who are very different and Will and Jem, but it just makes me want to read the next book that comes out next month.
Kel

2 comments:

  1. I just checked this book out and after reading your review, I'm really looking forward it! It's refreshing to hear that there's a paranormal teen series where the villains are actually dark and evil rather than just moody! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I hope you like it. When I got done with it I put the next one in the series and the first one from her related other series. It seems rare for vampires and other monsters to be actual bad guys and not dreamy heartthrobs who could just as likely be in emo bands.

    Kel/scoutnell7

    ReplyDelete