Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pinocchio: Vampire Slayer

by Van Jensen and Dusty Higgins, 130 pages

Other reviews here have summed up this short graphic novel's plot (and they must have been pretty persuasive, 'cause I couldn't not put this book on hold after reading them--thanks, guys!), but basically all you need to know is that broody Pinocchio, driven by a personal vendetta, purposely spouts mouthy lies to make his wooden nose grow so he can break it off and stake vampires with it. Which he does. A lot.

Sounds silly--and it is--but it's also pretty cool. And funny. And involving. I'm sad it's so short! And I'm glad to know there are / will be two sequels. I laughed so much at the beginning that I had to go back and read the helpful summation of the original Pinocchio story out loud to my bemused brother, flashing the book at him so he could see the pictures while he was trying to make dinner. Despite being distracted by food preparation and open flames, he laughed, too. :P Dark humor, dark drama, and silliness in pleasing proportions.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree--this book is too short! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I don't think "Pinocchio Vampire Slayer" gets the recognition it deserves!

    ReplyDelete