Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging" by Louise Dennison

247 pages

The tone and plot of this book are best summed up by one of the opening passages, which is actually a list:

There are six things very wrong with my life:

1. I have one of those under-the-skin spots that will never come to a head but lurk in a red way for the next two years.
2. It is on my nose
3. I have a three-year-old sister who may have peed somewhere in my room.
4. In fourteen days the summer hols will be over and then it will be back to Stalag 14 and Oberfuhrer Frau Simpson and her bunch of sadistic teachers.

5. I am very ugly and need to go into an ugly home.

6. I went to a party dressed as a stuffed olive.


The story continues through teenage Georgia's journal. In addition to the troubles listed above, she has to deal with fighting parents and the angst of her crush on Robbie the Sex God, who is unfortunately dating a total weirdo instead of Georgia.

This book totally cracked me up! The crazy antics of Georgia, her insane cat Angus, and her goofy little sister Libby kept me laughing the whole time. The teen drama is a little over the top for me, but I think most people can relate to it if they remember anything at all about being a teenager. This definitely isn't the most stimulating book out there, but it's great for when you want something light and funny to take a break from heavier reads.

2 comments:

  1. I read the first few titles in this series and enjoyed them for the same reasons, and with the same caveats, as you. They're like Bridget Jones for teens (I'm assuming, having only seen the latter's film adaptations). :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the perfect way to describe this book, Jenny! (I haven't read the Bridget Jones books either, but they seem to be similar).

    ReplyDelete