Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Name of the Wind



by Patrick Rothfuss, 722 pages





What I want to say is, "See Jenny E's" review. She does an excellent job detailing the story's high points without giving any spoilers. I agree with Aleah, Jenny---you should write a book!

In the fantasy genre, you often hear authors being touted as "the next Tolkien". Since Tolkien is my favorite author, I am particularly sensitive to this sort of hype. While Patrick Rothfuss won't dethrone Tolkien from his place of honor, his work is a worthy addition to the sub-genre of high fantasy.

Rothfuss captures your interest immediately with the character of Kvothe, an epic figure shrouded in mystery. The first person narration seems to effortlessly draw you along. Suddenly, you're 700 pages in and anxiously awaiting the next volume of the Kingkiller Chronicles. Luckily for this impatient reader, The Wise Man's Fear has just been released. I'm sure I'll be eagerly awaiting volume 3 when I've finished volume 2.

Highly recommended for lovers of adventure and epic fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment