Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Lemonade and Other Poems Squeezed from a Single Word" by Raczka

43 pages

This is a collection of all kinds of poems--funny to serious--each of which is composed using only the letters from the title. Here's one of my favorites, as an example:

"Earthworms"

a short storm

worms here

worms there

wear shoes

I love the idea of rearranging the letters to make a poem! It takes a lot of creativity and makes the poetry feel clever and fun. This book would be great for an older-kids program, as they could read the book and then write their own "fresh-squeezed" poems.

3 comments:

  1. I love Lemonade, and so do all of my elementary teacher friends. "Earthworms" is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like the perfect book for elementary teachers! My husband teaches third grade and he's going to use this book in his class and have the kids write their own poems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be great for teachers! Such a fun way to teach poetry!

    ReplyDelete