Monday, October 22, 2012

"In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad #1)" by Tana French

429 pages

On a warm evening in 1984, three children went into the woods outside their small Dublin suburb. One was found hours later, hugging a tree trunk with blood-filled sneakers, unable to remember anything from the past few hours. The other two children were never seen again, dead or alive.

Twenty years later, the boy who was found in the woods has become a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad. He keeps his past a secret--only is best friend and partner, Cassie, knows what happened to him all those years ago. But then a 12-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods Rob Ryan emerged from as a child, and Rob finds his past rushing up to meet him, whether he's ready or not.

I am really conflicted about my feelings on this book. I really got into it, and it totally creeped me out in a fascinating way. I couldn't put it down and I couldn't wait to find out what happened. I was very disappointed with the ending, though. I don't necessarily need every book to have a happy ending, but I do like to have some closure. We're left without answers for one part of this story and without justice for the other. I enjoyed the overall experience of reading this book, but I walked away from it feeling disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment