Sunday, October 21, 2012

"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn

419 pages

On the morning of her fifth wedding anniversary, smart and beautiful Amy Dunne disappears from her home on the Mississippi River near North Carthage, Missouri. Her husband, Nick, becomes a suspect almost immediately. Amy didn't take out any big sums of money before she left, and Nick doesn't have an alibi. Passages of Amy's diary reveal that the two of them were having marital problems for quite awhile before she disappeared. And, most damningly, Nick just doesn't seem as upset as a man in his position should. But Nick and his twin sister, Margo, insist that he's innocent and begin their own investigation, during which they uncover some odd things about Amy's past. Did someone else take Amy? Or is Nick just trying to divert attention from himself? The mystery unfolds in chapters that alternate between Nick's story and passages from Amy's diary leading up to her disappearance.

This is one of the most intense books I've ever read. I couldn't put it down. When I did have to stop reading and, you know, go to work and stuff, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Oh, how it messed with my head. I loved the first 90% of it, but I HATED the ending. I just hated everything about it, and I thought it made no sense. I won't say any more to avoid spoilers, but let me know if you've read it because I'd love to talk about how much I despise the end. That said, I know a lot of people who disagree with me about the conclusion. And I have to admit that, as much as I hated the way things went down, this is still an amazing book. The storytelling is perfect in the way it sucks you in, and there are so many details that fit together just right. I'd be thinking "What the heck? There's no way she can explain that" and then, boom, she did. Plus, it just freaked me out, in an interesting way. It's one of those stories that's going to stick with me for a long, long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment