Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"Uglies: Shay's Story" by Scott Westerfeld, Devin Grayson, and Steven Cummings

208 pages

In Uglies, Tally was led by her friend Shay to the Smoke, a place far outside the city where people stay Ugly instead of getting the operation that makes them not only Pretty but also dim-witted and compliant. This graphic novel tells the story from Shay's perspective: how she met the Crims, befriended Tally, and traveled to the Smoke.

As I was reading Uglies, I was really interested in Shay. I thought she was one of the most intriguing characters. I wanted to know how she developed her independent spirit while growing up in such an oppressive society. I didn't get as much of that background info that I wanted, but I did enjoy hearing her version of the story. I like the artwork and it seems to fit the story well. Overall, a nice addition to the Uglies series.


No comments:

Post a Comment