Friday, April 20, 2012

"The Malted Falcon (A Chet Gecko Mystery)" by Bruce Hale

128 pages


Wisecracking fourth-grade detective Chet Gecko and his trusty partner, Natalie Attired, have to restore the peace at Emerson Hickey Elementary yet again. This time, the stakes are high: a winning ticket for the Malted Falcon--the most yummy, scrumptious, gut-busting dessert ever--has gone missing, and it's up to Chet and Natalie to find it.


This is the first Chet Gecko book I've read, and I loved it! I picked this one up because it's the children's companion to my Library's Big Read selection, The Maltese Falcon, this year. I think it was the perfect choice, not only because it's (loosely) based on Dashiell Hammett's classic. The characters are likable, the pictures are fun, and it just cracked me up. It's really silly--don't read this book if you don't like puns!--but it worked for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment