Monday, April 23, 2012

Fair Weather

by Richard Peck
Read by Estelle Parsons
146 pages

This was a short and sweet audiobook.  This story is told by Rosie a 13-year-old country girl from rural Illinois.   The year is 1893, and the World's Fair is going on in Chicago.  However, this does not affect life on the farm, until Aunt Euterpe sends four tickets to the Becketts so that the kids can go to the fair and experience life outside the farm.  The book recounts the experiences of Rosie, her two siblings, her grandfather, and Aunt Euterpe as they take in the fair and learn all about city life.

I am a fan of Peck.  His books always have a homey flavor that reminds me of my own family, and his down-to-earth humor is ever-present in this novel.  I also learned some interesting stuff about the World's Fair.  I enjoyed this book, but not as much as I have enjoyed other Peck novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment