Saturday, December 24, 2011

"The Kite Runner Graphic Novel" by Khaled Hosseini;

136 pages

In this graphic novel, which is adapted from the bestselling book of the same title, Amir grows up in Afghanistan in the closing years of the monarchy and the first years of the short-lived republic. His most faithful friend, Hassan, is the son of his family's servant. One day, when Hassan is assaulted by bullies, Amir witnesses the attack but is too stunned and frightened to do anything to stop it. Overwhelmed by guilt, he doesn't want to be around Hassan anymore, as his friend reminds him of his betrayal. He shuns Hassan, leaving his friend wondering why Amir is angry with him. Then Amir´s relatively priviledged life in Kabul comes to a sudden end when the communist regime comes to power and his father takes him to the U.S. There Amir grows up, finishes school, and gets married. Through it all, he never forgets Hassan or lets go of regret for the way he left things with his childhood friend. After his father's death, Amir receives a letter from his father's most trusted business partner with news that makes him go back to Taliban-dominated Afghanistan in search of redemption.

"The Kite Runner" is one of my favorite books, so I had to grab this graphic novel when I saw it on the shelf. I love it when books I like come out in graphic novel format because they're a way for me to experience the story in a different way and to get a refresher in a time-efficient manner. This book definitely didn't disappoint me. I wasn't particularly impressed with the artwork, but that didn't bother me at all in this case. The story is so fantastic that I really didn't notice that the art isn't spectacular; in a way, the plain drawings allow the story to take center stage. And while some graphic novel adaptations lose something in the abbreviated format, this book sums up the plot of the original novel very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment