Friday, September 9, 2011

Shadowrise (Shadowmarch: 3)

by Tad Williams
(2010 | 564 p)

Things have gone from bad to worse in Southmarch castle. The usurper Tollys are still on the throne and the army of Qar camped outside the front gate are getting restless. To add insult to injury, the insane Autarch of Xis has taken an unhealthy interest in Southmarch and its royal family. Barrick Eddon remains lost behind the Shadowline while his twin sister Briony searches for allies in a far away foreign court. Their father, King Olin, is still a prisoner and unable to help. All the while, the gods are starting to wake up.

 For the sake of full disclosure let me admit right now that I have a literary crush on Tad Williams. Dropping into one of his stories is better than mulled wine on a frosted evening. Scrumptious. Shadowrise was no exception. I do, however, feel the need to point out one burr in my happy Tad Williams epic fantasy saddle. I am weary of homosexuals in epic fantasy forever being either evil/corrupt or overtly lascivious. This is common in epic fantasy and in this case Williams is no exception. Either leave the sexual orientation piece completely out of the story or allow some healthy, mature homosexual relationships to exist as well. I want to be able to love my fantasy escapism without feeling like I'm betraying my morals. And end rant.

With that out of the way I do still recommend this series. Tad Williams is truly a master of story weaving and world building. Two of my very favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment