Thursday, September 8, 2011

"Darth Paper Strikes Back" by Tom Angleberger

159 pages

In "The Strange Case of Origami Yoda," we are introduced to goofy sixth-grader Dwight and his origami Yoda finger puppet, which dispenses stunningly awesome advice and wisdom. Some of Dwight's classmates, led by Tommy, put together a case file of Origami Yoda evidence to determine whether he is really tapped into the Force or not. It's up to readers to make the call after reading the file. Now, in "Darth Paper Strikes Back," the kids have moved on to seventh grade but Origami Yoda is helping as many kids as ever. All is not well, however: Darth Paper has been brought to life by mean, grumpy Harvey, and he's dead set on bringing McQuarrie Middle School to the Dark Side. That means taking out Origami Yoda. Darth Paper's scheming leads to Dwight getting suspended from school and possibly kicked out forever! That would mean no more Origami Yoda, and chaos would reign. Tommy and the others have to convince the school board not to expel Dwight. Here we have the collection of stories they gather to prove that Origami Yoda is a crucial part of their school.

I love "The Strange Case of Origami Yoda" so much that I didn't think there was any way the sequel could be as fantastic, but I was totally wrong! If you ask me, "Darth Paper Strikes Back" is just as charming and hilarious as the first book. I love the seventh graders and the way they believe in Origami Yoda and talk to him just like any other classmate. They totally made me nostalgic for my younger years. And, of course, Origami Yoda himself is as funny and wise as ever. The ending seems predictable at first and then there's a nice unexpected twist at the end. Overall, I just love the way this book made me laugh and gave me the warm fuzzies. I want more Origami Yoda!

1 comment:

  1. I want this book!I got the first book at my 4th Grade Book Fair,but this one sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete