Wednesday, November 21, 2012

"Sacre Blue: A Comedy d'Art" by Christopher Moore

403 pages


In July 1890, Vincent van Gogh went into a cornfield and shot himself. At least, that's the official word. But Vincent’s friends, baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and the dapper Henri Toulouse-Lautrec, have their doubts. Their friend had been doing so well, finally seeming to overcome the demons that plagued him for most of his life. And, if he wanted to die, why did he drag himself for miles to find help after being shot? And, most interestingly, who was the crooked little “color man” Vincent claimed was stalking him across France . . . and why had the painter recently become deathly afraid of a certain shade of blue? Lucien and Henri are determined to answer these questions, but their quest turns out to be as dangerous as it is hilarious. 

This is definitely not my favorite Christopher Moore title, but I did enjoy it quite a bit. I had trouble following it at times, particularly all the flashbacks and geographic running around. Also, I'm just not very familiar with art history (shame) so I probably didn't even recognize some of the names that I should have. Still, this book still cracked me up in typical Christopher Moore fashion. There's all the laugh-out-loud ridiculousness that I know and love. Moore is definitely a love him or hate him kind of author, and this book falls right in line with his usual stuff.  If you didn't like his other books you probably won't like this one, but his usual fans will not be disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment