Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Loose Girl: A Memoir of Promiscuity

Loose Girl: A Memoir of Promiscuity
by Kerry Cohen
210 pages

This is a memoir about a woman growing up in the late 80's/early 90's who, in the wake of her parents' divorce and wanting to matter to someone, uses sex with boys to try and make them love her. She continues to use her body as a way to find self worth and love during her teens & twenties until she finally finds someone who loves her just as she is.

I didn't like this book. While reading it, it felt like she was trying to blame her actions on her parents' divorce or her relationships with her parents.  I don't know if it's because I have a pretty good relationship with my parents so I can't really relate, but I just didn't buy the whole "because I have daddy issues I have issues with men". For every action there is a reaction. You can't blame someone else on the way you react to life.

Maybe it's the independent woman in me, but I just can't relate to women who need a man to feel validated.  Even at the end of the book, it wasn't until Kerry found her now husband that she finally felt loved.

I just don't get it. Not a good read.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I think I would like this book. I know a lot of women who have had this issue as a teen (myself included-though not because of divorce issues. Some women never grow out of this stage, I am going to put it on hold - I will let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I definitely would like to get another opinion on this book! I can see how others might relate to it.

    ReplyDelete