Monday, June 13, 2011

Hourglass by Myra McEntire



2011/397 pgs

About the Book: Emerson Cole sees things. People that just appear that no one else around her seem to see or hear. She's tried everything to make them disappear and be normal, but the people keep appearing. When Michael Weaver, a member of an organization called the Hourglass arrives, he tells Emerson that she isn't the only one who sees these visions of people and that she belongs to a special group of people with special powers and abilities. Michael also claims that Emerson has a power that he needs to save his mentor and without her, the Hourglass and their future is in trouble.

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: It's hard to write a good synopsis for Hourglass because it's a book that has several twists that are better left uncovered while reading. Hourglass is a book I think most people would categorize as Science Fiction, but I'd give it to readers who say they shy away from science fiction because there's so much more. There's mystery, romance, humor, adventure-I think it's a book you could book talk to a wide range of readers and find something to hook them on.

Emerson is a great main character. She's snarky, funny, and she says what's on her mind. She's the type of character that I would want to be friends with and hang out with in real life. She has a steamy connection with Michael and the romance between the two a nice subplot to the story. I do think that the romance between Michael and Emerson was a bit too lust at first sight, but part of me could also brush that off because of the electric connection shared between them thanks to their powers and abilities. Or maybe I just thought Michael was crushworthy enough I didn't care! At times the book is a bit romance heavy, which might be a turn off for some readers, but readers who stick with it will be rewarded with a great mystery storyline as well.

The story is engaging and kept me interested and reading. There's a lot about the Hourglass that reminds me of X-Men, so I hope we get more books that feature the other members of the Hourglass because I want more of their stories. Emerson and Michael are great leads and the supporting characters are interesting, I just wanted them more fleshed out.

This is a book that is leading up to a sequel. While it's not a cliffhanger ending and some things are resolved, there are still many things left unanswered. I'm eager to read more about the Hourglass!

No comments:

Post a Comment